What do you do when there is a group of unexpected guests and a need to fix up a cake for dessert? And you have not more than 15 minute? And being a foodie and home baker that you are, you do not want to rush to the nearest baker to buy a cake! And don’t you want to get acclamations for your own handiwork from your guests?
Well here is one recipe that fits into all the above and makes your guests go gaga about your baking... err microwaving :D
Yes, you read it right... you don’t need an oven for this cake - a microwave is sufficient. And all it takes is about 5-6 minutes to fix the batter and another 5-7 minutes for the cake to be done. And you’re ready to serve dessert. Isn’t it cool?
Made this for mom last time, since her oven was out of order and she wanted a recipe to try in her microwave. And it turned out good. In the following week, she made it again and it turned out equally good, and she was impressed. So here you go, with the recipe...
Source: Madhuri’s Cook Curry Nook
Preparation time : 5-7 min
Baking time : 5-6 min
Makes : 16 squares
All purpose flour/Maida – 1 1/2 cups
Cocoa - ½ cup
Brown Sugar – 1 ½ cups (moderately packed) (normal white sugar will also do).
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Flax seed powder – 4 tsps mixed in 1 cup warm water (substituting 4 eggs)
Milk – 1/3 cup
Water – 1/3 cup
Oil – 1/3 cup (any neutral oil)
Vanilla essence – 1 ½ tsps
• Grease a microwave-safe wide glass pan and dust it lightly with flour and keep aside
• Sift all the dry ingredients together (maida, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt) thrice and transfer to a wide bowl.
• Add the sugar, stir well to incorporate.
• Stir in the milk, water, oil and vanilla essence. Mix well.
• Lastly stir in the flax-seed powder mixed in warm water and mix well. The batter must have a ribbon-like consistency now.
• Pour the batter into a greased and dusted microwave-safe glass pan
• Now cook the cake on high for 5-7 minutes (In my microwave that sets to 900W at high power, it was done at 6 minutes. And in my mom’s that sets at 700W, it took about 8-9 min. Please check yours and increase/decrease the time by a minute or two, as required).
• Give it a standing time of 5 minutes and put it through the toothpick test to check if it is done well.
• If its still sticky in the middle, keep it in the oven for a couple of minutes more
• Once done, let it cool in the pan for a while. Turn onto a wire-rack and let cool completely before you serve it.
• Make slabs of required size and serve with a dollop of icecream, topped with nuts and chocolate sauce!