Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Nan Khatai


No more rants about how busy I am and how little time I get these days to do something I really want to. The house is still in a mess with painting work still in the last and boring stages… and wedding preparation going on in full zoom…
So these cookies that I had planned for Suma’s Cookie fest event here got postponed and postponed till the very last day. Yes, I’m glad I finally managed :D. I’d have felt bad if I didn’t send across my entry to her event as she is one impressive blogger, amazing baker, a nice story teller… her blog is truly inspiring! Keep blogging more and more, Suma, for us to enjoy and learn from you.
So here’s one Indian cookie - Nan Khatai for her event. I got the recipe from the recipe book that I got along with my LG convection microwave oven. The cookies were made with double the quantity given here and were liked by a lot of people.
Here we go with the recipe!


Nan Khatai


Preparation time : 15 min
Cooking time : 15-20 min
Makes : 20 cookies


Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour / Maida - 200g
Semolina / Fine sooji / rava - 100g
Cooking oil / ghee / butter - 150g
Baking soda -1/4 tsp
Sugar - 150g
Curd - 2 Tbsp
Milk - 4-5 Tbsp
Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
Pistachio - 20g, finely chopped (I skipped this and placed a raisin on each cookie)

Method:
• Preheat oven to 160 deg C
• Grease a cookie tray and keep aside
• Beat oil/ghee/butter, sugar and curd together
• Sieve flour, semolina, cardamom powder and baking soda together in a bowl
• Mix with the curd mixture
• Add milk to form a soft dough
• Divide the dough into 20 small balls and place on the greased cookie tray 2 inches apart. Press each ball slightly with your fingers
• I made slightly bigger disks and used my cookie cutter to cut into shapes
• Place a raisin on each cookie and press it in slightly. If using pistachio, garnish the top with it.
• Bake in the preheated oven at 160 deg C for 15 - 20 minutes, till the edges are slightly browned.
• Cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an air tight container
• This stays for about a week if preserved well

Notes:
• I avoided butter and used part oil and part ghee for the unique flavor.
• You can substitute the cardamom powder with vanilla essence for a different flavor


8 comments:

  1. Scrumptious and quite addictive nankhattais..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking time for baking these for my event Sumana! Am so glad to receive your entry! The cookies look yum, haven't yet tried baking these..

    A blushing thanks for your mention and words :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely ... perfect with a cup of tea..:))
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies llook just perfect, gotta try soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suma,

    Was browsing for togarikaaLu recipes when I hit upon your blog...I am loving all your traditional recipes and will be back soon to check out more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure it would have tasted awesome and luv the presentation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..they look very perfect and yum....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)