I had had a Broccoli soup in a European restaurant in Bangalore and had loved it with the flavors of Italian herbs complimenting the broccoli. Wanted to recreate that when i found some fresh Broccoli here and this is what it is.... It was pretty close to the original, sans the extra salt that i had added first time! Next time on, it came out pretty well, with the right salt.
A simple, easy to make soup, to compliment some bread for a light dinner… Just cooking for two of us now, I prefer to do some simple stuff on some days and an elaborate meal on others!
It is pretty cool here, for me who came from a tropical climate, though it is summer now. I wonder how it will be in actual winter! Summer or winter, soups are making a regular appearance in my menu these days, and this is one such.
Preparation time : 5 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 4 -5
Broccoli – 1 cup, chopped
Butter - 1 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
Salt - ½ tsp or as per taste - go easy on this
Water - 2 cups, change acc to consistency
Corn flour - 2 tsp
Milk - ¼ cup
Fresh cream - 1 Tbsp (optional)
Thyme – ½ tsp / or any other herb of your choice
- Clean and chop Broccoli into large chunks
- Heat butter in a pan and add chopped broccoli
- Add water and bring to boil and cook till they are cooked soft
- Let it cool for a few minutes
- Puree it adding the water used for cooking the broccoli if necessary, to make a fine paste
- Strain the puree to the same pan
- Add salt and thyme and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix corn flour with half a cup of cold milk/water without lumps and add it to the boiling soup
- Add enough water so that a right consistency of soup is maintained – neither too thick nor too thin
- Let it boil for a couple of minutes more.
- Put off the heat and add fresh cream and stir well
- Add pepper powder and serve hot
- A small onion can also be added to give a different flavor