Monday, May 10, 2010

Mangalore Banana Buns

Seeing my blog, an aunt of mine who had come home got inspired to teach me some of her specialties that I didn’t make earlier, like the famous Mangalore buns.

These Mangalore buns were something that I had wanted to make from quite sometime. Every time I travel to the south-western part of Karnataka, I don’t miss tasting these buns in the hotels. What surprises me is that they are not at all oily in spite of being deep fried! Initially I had assumed that these were some baked-stuff. It isn’t a big deal to make it at home... try it out when there are over ripe bananas lying in the kitchen, abandoned!

Mangalore Buns

Preparation time : 15 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 5-6

Ingredients:
Over ripe long bananas - 2
Maida - 2 cups + for dusting
Curd - ¾th cup
Sugar - 1 Tbsp
Salt - ½ tsp
Soda / baking powder - 1 pinch
Cooking Oil - to deep fry

Method:
• In a wide bowl mash bananas with salt and sugar
• Add curd and beat it with your fingers for 5-6 minutes. Let there be small little lumps of banana
• Mix in the flour and baking powder and knead it into a soft dough
• Keep it covered for at least 30 minutes. The dough would have got a little soggy after the resting time.
• Take small lemon sized balls and roll it into small pooris using more flour for dusting
• Meanwhile heat oil in a skillet and deep fry one at a time in medium heat
• Turn it over a couple of times, ensuring even browning of the buns
• Remove from oil, drain on a kitchen towel
• Repeat the same with rest of the dough
• Serve hot with chutney of your choice. Pudina-coconut chutney tastes great with these hot buns

Tips n Tricks:
• Use well ripened bananas for best results
• Let the dough rest, to get good puffed up buns

8 comments:

  1. Buns are very popular out there, now showing up in our Bangalore Udupi restaurants.. Look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buns, my mom used to do this one, my son's fav too...but a slightly different version from yours, but would love to try this your way too...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mangalore buns looks super, very tempting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi....looks so yummy but quite new to me, love to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, this is Prasad's favorite.. though we get in a restaurant near my house, at times its too greasy or too hard. I will surely try this one.. Thanks a ton for posting this :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)