Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rice-gruel Soup

I generally cook rice in a pressure cooker. Sometimes, when cooking for some special dishes, I cook soaked rice in a vessel and drain off the water. I feel bad to simply drain off the water, as it’ll be rich in starch....
So made this soup instantly out of the gruel. It was tasty and almost like veg-corn soup. Folks at home did enjoy it. And Dee clicked these beautiful clicks for me :)
Here’s how I made it....
Rice gruel soup
Preparation time : 10 min
Cooking time : 5 min
Serves : 5-6

Ingredients:
Rice gruel / akki ganji / water drained from cooking rice - 4 cups
Chopped vegetables - 1 Tbsp (beans, carrot, spring onion, corn kernels, etc)
Butter - 1 tsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Salt - ½ tsp or as per taste
Water - Acc to consistency
Fresh cream - 1 Tbsp or Milk - ½ cup (optional)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing

Method:
• Heat butter in a pan and add the veggies
• Sauté till they are slightly done
• Add the rice gruel and bring to a gentle boil
• Add milk, salt and pepper powder
• Adjust consistency by adding a little water. Let it boil for a couple of minutes more
• Put off the heat and add fresh cream (optional) and stir well
• Serve hot, garnished with some chopped coriander leaves

Tips n Tricks:
• If the soup turns out to be too thin, mix some cornflour in milk and add it and boil it for some time

Variations:
• Skip the milk and add a spoon of lemon juice

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sum, I tried you whole moong dosa..it came out nicely :D I was worried about my dosa-making-skills, and surprisingly this dosa did not stick to the tava..I still can not make thin dosa, but even with the medium thickness, these dosas were crisp.. Thank you so much! please post more recipes like this which require little preparation and even lesser time for cooking..:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another update:I made it for dinner and P loved it.. Now I am going to make at least once in a week ! Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovley and healthy soup:)...looks devine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)