If you want to fix up a gravy for your Jeera rice or Veg Puloa or Ghee rice etc, and do not want to go for an elaborate one with veggies and other ingredients, here’s an alternative. It is very simple to make, does not need any vegetables, other than onions and tomatoes, of course, and goes well with some rice.
Here’s how to make it...
|Simple, Plain Gravy|
Preparation time : 10 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 4
Onions - 3 medium sized, chopped, divided use
Tomatoes - 2 medium sized, chopped
Green chilies - 2, slit
Garlic - 6-8 flakes
Cashew nuts - 2 Tbsp, divided use
Cooking oil - 3 tsp
Curd - 3-4 Tbsp, optional
Salt - ½ tsp or as per taste
Sugar - ¼ tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - ½ tsp
Coriander pwd - ½ tsp
Garam masala pwd - ½ tsp
Red Chili pwd - ½ tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tsp
• Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and sauté half of the cut onions, garlic till golden brown
• Add the cut tomatoes and cook till done
• Cool it, add to it coconut and half the cashew nuts and grind to a puree
• Heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in a another pan, and add ginger garlic paste and slit green chilies
• Add the remaining cashews, chopped onion, and stir till golden brown
• Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder
• Now add salt, sugar and the ground paste prepared in 3 and bring to boil
• Add water if the consistency is too thick and boil for 3-4 min, stirring intermittently.
• Switch off the flame and add the curd if using and mix well.
• Serve it with any flavored rice and enjoy
• Curd is optional – It gives a different taste with and without it
• Coconut can be omitted