This is my mom’s version of ghee rice. I remember taking this to college in my lunch box and really relishing on it. And sometimes on holidays or in the evenings it would be a one pot meal, that all of us would enjoy hot. She uses grated coconut in this recipe which adds a nice texture and taste to the dish. Very simple to make, yet tastes amazingly good, cold or hot.
It was a long long time since I had it and this time when I was there, she made it for me on two consecutive days and I thoroughly enjoyed it in 4 meals continuously!!
Here’s the recipe...
Preparation time :5 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 5-6
Rice - 2 cups, Basmati variety
Water - 3 cups
Green chilies - 5-6, as per taste
Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
Ghee - 1-2 Tbsp
Pepper corns - 1 tsp, optional (adjust as per your taste)
Cumin seeds (jeera) - 2 tsp
Coconut - 1/3 cup, grated
Ginger - 1 tsp, chopped fine
Onion - 2 medium sized, chopped length wise
Salt - 1 ½ tsp or as per taste
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
• Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
• In a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee and add cumin seeds and pepper corns, allow to sizzle
• Add slit green chilies, chopped onion, ginger and sauté till the onion is translucent
• When almost done, drain the soaked rice, add and mix well, frying it slightly
• Mix in the coconut, salt
• After a minute, add water and bring it to boil
• Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for one or two whistles, depending on your cooker
• When the pressure has come down, open the lid and lightly mix, add the chopped coriander and serve as is or with a gravy or raita
• Enjoy maaDi!